Google Maps is probably the most popular mapping and routing website on the internet. RouteXL uses OpenStreetMap to optimize multi stop routes, but it still works with Google Maps in various ways.
Google Maps is often the best service for finding addresses on the map. As it's also the most expensive service, it's only available for our premium users. To select Google for your addresses, set Options > Geocoding > Preferred > Google Maps
Export route to Google Maps
To export a route you have created in RouteXL to Google Maps use the Download button and choose "Google Maps".
- RouteXL will create an URL that will holds the coordinates of your stops and open that in a new window. Coordinates are used to match the route in RouteXL better.
- This method will only work with a small number of stops. The number of characters in the URL is limited and Google Maps limits the number of locations it accepts in a route. Unfortunately we have no control over this.
Import route in Google Maps
Google My Maps is a special service that you can use to create your own custom maps. It can import files with multi stop routes that you create in RouteXL.
This method will allow you to import higher numbers of addresses. It also allows to add multiple routes in one map (overlays). You can format marker and line styles to your needs.
Instead of exporting the whole route in one go, you can also navigate to each stop of your route individually:
- Set Options > Routing > Navigate with > Google Maps (or: Google Navigation)
- Open the Fulfillment dialog
- Navigate each stop and tick it off
This method will work with many stops, is able to keep timestamps for each address, and allows you to replan on the road.